Every 10th September World Suicide Prevention day is observed. The main focus is to raise awareness of how we can create a society where suicide doesn’t exist. Every day, some people are committing suicide (1 death every 40 seconds). Suicide is the second major cause of death among the youth age group of 15-29 years. More than 68,000 people died from suicide in 2018 in the UK and Ireland. Every life lost to suicide can be considered a tragedy. Suicide is preventable and with that goal in mind we observe this world suicide prevention day. Each year this day comes with alternate theme and motto.
Last year’s theme was “Working Together to Prevent Suicide” and 2020 theme is “Global Suicide Prevention collaboration”.
Suicide is influenced mainly due to psychological, cultural, environmental situation, and risk factors. There is strong evidence indicating that adequate counselling can reduce the suicide rate. In 2003, this world suicide prevention day was first announced to annually be held as an IASP initiative. This day aims to –
1. Raise mass awareness about counselling of suicidal thoughts.
2. Improve education.
3. Spread information about suicide preventative methods.
4. Decrease stigmatization regarding suicide.
• Frustrated about livelihood.
• Increase consumption of alcohol & drug.
• Sudden mood swings.
World suicide prevention day gives awareness to government agency and individual as well as procures different method of suicide prevention. International Association for suicide prevention plays a major role in promoting events and activities as awareness programs.
“To anyone out there who’s hurting—it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength” – Barack Obama
1. Suicide not only takes a single life, rather destroys a family. World suicide prevention day gives us an understanding of the value of life.
2. The main goal of this day is to raise awareness about the suicidal behaviors and how to prevent them. Connect your local suicide prevention hotline if you have a friend who may have suicidal thoughts. Every action is meaningful.
3. World suicide prevention day reminds us that society needs constant treatment of mental health issues so that peoples struggling with it can find the help they need.
Suicide is never a solution. We get to live once and let’s cheer it up. Problems are part of everyone’s life. Let’s not fear it rather face it and you can win it.